Single lady cupcakes
September 2, 2012 in Food
I used to bake, a lot. Before I wanted to be a scientist, I wanted to be a food scientist; so I had my fair share of baking experimentations. When I try to get lean (and life gets busy, too), my baking tools start to collect dust. Baking takes a lot of time and love; and most recipes make so much stuff that I’d have to find victims to test them on. Well, I’m sure my colleagues and friends don’t mind my little treats.
Let me tell you, I have such a weak spot for desserts, especially home made ones. I learned that deprivation diets cause me to crash on any diets, so moderation is key. Chocolatecoveredkatie.com came up with the brilliant idea of single ladies cupcakes, which I quickly embraced. No longer do I have to worry about the remaining cupcakes in the batch that I make. No longer do I have to worry about gluten, sugar or artificial ingredients. No longer do I need to fight that cravings. Oh and the fact that another Bulk Barn just opened down the street doesn’t hurt either.
Katie is vegan and I’m a carnivorous bodybuilder, so I use the single ladies cupcakes as my post-workout meal and substitute egg whites for any liquid. I had to experiment a bit to get the cake that isn’t too dry or rough. If I screw up, I only screw up 1 cake so no commitment scares there. And I purposely under-baked it so that I get to enjoy that gooey uncooked middle part like the chocolate molten lava cake. Hey, anyone who’s ever baked would attest to the fact that raw batter almost always taste better than the cooked ones, right?
Here’s my recipe
|Single lady cupcakes||
- ¾ cups egg whites
- 1 tbsp of coconut milk (or any milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp of unsweetened apple sauce
- ⅕ tsp coconut oil (or any oil, omit if you want less fat but cake will be dryer)
- 3 tbsp white buckwheat flour (Katie said wheat or spelt would work too, but those are not gluten free.)
- ⅛ tsp baking soda or ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (again this can be scaled down if you are not as much of a chocoholic as me)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract (optional) but I like to sub this with 1 tsp of mochatonix because it smells good and also burns fat.
- 1 tbsp or less of sweetener of choice. I rotate between splenda, xylitol and agave. If you use agave, honey or maple syrup then scale back the egg whites a bit.
- 2 tbsp whey protein isolate
- Mix the dry stuff together in a bowl, and liquids in another bowl
- Make a hole in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid.
- Stir until well-mixed
- microwave for 1 min (more or less depending on the microwave power, but I like it half-baked).
There are also other variations like egg-nog cakes, carrot cakes, pumpkin cakes (wait, it’s not even fall yet, lol), butter cake, green tea cakes. I’m gonna try that and post recipes later. Give it a try and let me know how it turns out.